You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. – R. Buckminster Fuller
Instead of fighting government, we should simply render it obsolete, argues Dave Ridley in one of his best videos yet. For example, Dave’s journalism works toward making mainstream media obsolete. The Porc-411 service has superseded AAA he says. And carrying a firearm [on which you’re well-trained] helps fossilize the police.
Which One First?
Dave’s really on to something here. What (quasi-) government institutions should we consign to the dustbin in our own lives? And how? What are the most powerful ones? The most vulnerable ones? The most pernicious? The most unpopular? Here are some ideas. I’d like to hear yours as well.
- Police: Getting basic firearm training, practicing regularly and carrying a pistol is a great start. What about neighborhood patrol? Detective for hire?
- Food and Drug Regulation: Produce your own food and drugs (see, for example, permaculture) and/or trade with others outside of government control to get what you need. This effectively shortcuts government regulation. I produce free range chicken eggs and trade with you for unpasteurized organic cow milk.
- Road and Bridge Building and Maintenance: Fill in potholes, film your work and take up a collection. A more advanced example would be to save one of those bridges that has been practically abandoned by the state for lack of funds.
- Social Safety Net: Form a charity to feed, clothe and shelter homeless people. Organize the unemployed to compete with the enterprises that laid them off. Form mutual aid societies.
- Dispute Resolution: Offer your arbitration services for hire. Offer insurance against things that commonly turn out badly for folks.
- Currency: Offer an incentive for customers to pay you in gold and silver. Convert your USD holdings into silver and gold coins. Mint your own silver money and help others convert, too.
- Education: Homeschool/Unschool. Try to avoid or reduce property taxes, or any other activities that support government schools. Self-study and/or hire private tutors instead of going to a state-subsidized college, trade school or graduate school.
- Health Care: Offer private EMT services with your own 911-type alert system. If you’re a doctor, offer your services for gold and silver at reduced rates.
- Package Delivery: Here’s an interesting proposal for competing with the USPS, UPS and Fedex. Boycott the government postal system as much as possible.
- Water, Electricity and Natural Gas: Get your water from a well and filter it yourself. Produce your own electricity from solar, wind and water sources. Heat by burning wood.
- Broadcast Spectrum: Use and produce online media. Air pirate radio and TV signals.
We Can be Our Own Masters
Working together, we can enhance our own independence, build wealth for ourselves, achieve more personal liberty and free time and otherwise be our own masters. All this while weakening the fascist police state. Where do we start?