I caught sight of an odd national flag today. All national flags are odd but this one was odd in the sense that I don’t usually see them. My first instinct was to imagine ripping it down. But then, I thought, no one would understand.
My intention is to end the oppression that is caused by governments. However, so many people have their self-identities wrapped up in government flags that likely no one would receive anything like the point I was trying to communicate.
In other words, as an activism op in furtherance of peaceful evolution, it would be a complete FAIL. People would take it as an attack on them instead of an act of solidarity and mutual defense.
It’s too early for acts of destruction. First we need to build the new societies, the new consciousness, the new identities and the new culture. Only then does it make sense to destroy the old – and perhaps we should simply recycle it instead.
Until we have these new things in place, until we can show in real life that these things are better, more peaceful, more prosperous, more convenient and more congruent with life, destruction just confuses people. It scares them. It plays to the government’s strengths, instead of its weaknesses. It’s just not smart.
How can we build the keystones of a new world? Here are some ideas:
- Start counter-economic businesses.
- Patronize existing counter-economic business.
- Build (and help others build) identities that don’t depend on governments. One can do this with martial arts, vocations, organizations, professions, hobbies, belief systems and much more.
- Construct a culture that is outside the realm of the state. Write, paint, animate, draw, make films, tell stories, create (or adopt) myths and religions. Base it on our libertarian, anarchist and other compatible voluntary society values.
- Focus on the voluntaryist precept of constant self-improvement. Learn new knowledge, wisdom and skills. Work on integrating mind, body and spirit with such tools as aikido, zen (or other) meditation, yoga, etc. Become an expert at this and teach others.
We’re in the building phase, not the destruction phase. Let us stop destroying and start building. How are you building the new societies? Please share with the other readers in the comments below.