I need more time in my day. We all do, I’m sure. I can get up early. A few weeks ago I got up at 5AM for almost a whole week straight. But I can not yet do that regularly.
Becoming an Early Riser
The other day I came across Dave Navarro’s Becoming an Early Riser course, bought it, and am now doing it.
List all the benefits of waking up early
Step 1 is: List all the benefits of waking up early. Well, what an obvious yet fantastic idea. So obvious that I missed it and so fantastic that it inspired me to write up 7 reasons in 5 minutes. I now have those reasons hanging on my bedroom wall. Here they are:
Why I Want to be an Early Riser
- I will feel better about myself. It’s a question of self-esteem. I feel like a chump walking Simon (my dog) with my hair wet at 10AM.
- I want an apartment, somewhere nice to live, a solid asset for my family, a concrete example of my constructive efforts and something I can leave behind for my family. Am I really going to still be renting 3 years from now?
- I want to prove to the world that I am a successful writer. I need more time in my day to accomplish that. Will I still be a big talker with no results a year from now?
- I have a lot of goals. I have a lot of plans in motion to reach them. The follow-through is what is at stake now so I need to get serious and, well, follow through. I don’t want to be stuck in this same rut for another 5 years.
- I want to be a good example to my boy. I want him to form all the good habits early on – all of those good habits that I am just barely starting to master. I refuse to be one of those dads that tells his kids to do as he says and not as he does.
- I want to feel that I am ahead of my daily agenda, and not behind. I refuse to work under threat of urgency all day.
- Later in life i want to have the good feeling that comes from knowing that I haven’t wasted my life sleeping in. Will I really allow myself to die knowing I haven’t sucked the marrow out of life?
Reality Check at 0600
There are my reasons. We’ll see how motivating they are tomorrow at 0600. :)